Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

I want to have my cake and eat it too...

...but I don't really like cake!!

In an effort to establish better eating habits for myself I have been trying to find substitutes for foods that I like that are a bit healthier and lower calorie.  I was surprised to find that many of them are gluten free! If you are interested in seeing them/trying them, here are the recipes...  I did tweak each one a little for my own personal preferences.

My favorites so far are:

Spinach Quiche - discovered because Andrea was coming over and I wanted to be able to feed her!  The crust was a little tough so I might actually try using a gluten free flour next time!

Cauliflower Pizza - AMAZING.  I know that this sounds horrible but you make the crust our of cauliflower.  I will never go back.  This is a special treat because Max loves to bring pizza home and I rarely partake, now I can.  I actually plan on sharing this with KayLynn from now on as the veggies are better for her!!

Cauliflower Mac 'n Cheese - not That much lower calorie, but I like it and I like that I am eating more veggies than white flour.

This weekend I plan on trying this spaghetti squash recipe.  Spaghetti squash is only 42 calories per cup!!  Not that you care about calories - but I do.  And its gluten free!

You have probably realized from this post that I like cheese!

Enjoy.

4 comments:

jbhinman said...

Can I have the pizza recipe. sounds weird but intriguing.

tamgronewold@aol.com said...

To paraphrase KayLynn: "I'm gonna need some of that pizza."

Courtney Dey said...

Without cheese our family just might fall apart. I blame it on Charlie's Italian heritage...and I'm a VERY supportive wife!

Andrea said...

Mmm. I can't wait to test these out. That quiche was gooood. I hadn't had quiche in, um, years!