Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

spelling

My new thing to think about all the time is how I am going to spell my daughter's name (if we have a girl). The point of the name is that it is the combining of the middle/first names of the women I love, Kay and Lynn. Originally I was going to spell it Kaylynn. However I have come to the conclusion that the child will already spend her life coaching people on the spelling of her last name. Why would we add yet another name that is hard to spell - I mean after all, she has to learn to spell it at an early age. So, I asked Aunt Tam and her suggestion was Kaylin - what do you think? If it was your choice what would you chose? Of course we will find out Thursday whether or not this is really an issue I have to decide now!

Other spellings of the name that I found are as follows:
Kaelene, Kaelin, Kaelyn, Kaelynn, Kailan, Kaileen, Kailene, Kailin, Kailyn, Kailynne, Kalan, Kalen, Kalin, Kalyn, Kalynn, Kaylan, Kaylanne, Kayleen, Kayleena, Kaylen, Kaylinn, Kaylyn, Kaylynn and Kaylynne

6 comments:

Hinman said...

My vote is Kalin. My friend Tanya has put essential items on her blog. You can get to it through mine!

Leanne said...

My Niece spells hers Kaelyn, so if you spell it the same I will always get her name right-her first name that is. :D

Erika said...

I like Kaylyn...I'm sure this isn't helping..since we're all giving a different spelling. I like this particular spelling because it does use both the first part and the last part of the names you love. And Kaylyn is one of those names that everyone is going to spell wrong no matter what. I mean, I still don't get people spelling my name right because there are several different ways. So, I say go with what you love, and she'll learn that her name comes from some lovely ladies, and that's the important part.

sarah said...

If it is a girl she probably won't have the last name forever. Besides kaylynn is exactly how it sounds. Do what you like-she will grow up with it and know no different! I am so excited to find out too! I had a dream Mon. that it's a girl and they wouldn't tell me so I yelled at the tech and grabbed her by the colar until she told me. Then ofcourse I didn't believe her. Hopefully the babes will cooperate. My friend had hers a few weeks ago and the baby wouldn't move their legs!! I think that means its a girl-boys are never that modest!

Kjerste said...

Just wanted to let you know that when I saw your posting about the name Kaylynn, I immediately thought you were having a girl and got really really excited! Thought you were finding out the sex on the 19th, so I've only checked your blog a gazzilion times today.... :)

That being said, I think since there are so many spellings of Kaylynn, you should just do what you originally intended and name your daughter after both women, spelled the way they spell their names. It looks good that way, and it is at least accurate. Didn't realize there were so many spellings in the first place, but since there are, Ricky is right...it will be confusing no matter what. Go with the one you like!

Alicia said...

I think I like the way Tam suggested, Kaylin. Any way you spell it though will be beautiful, especially if its Kaylynn -- think of how much fun you and she will have writting pretty flowing "y's" when you spell her name! And from someone whose name is NEVER spelled correctly, it's really not the end of the world if people don't know how to spell your name. It makes life just a little more interesting!

Can't wait to hear what kind of little person you are having! So exciting!!!