Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Choleric vs. Sanguine

Learning to parent the right child, that's the real challenge, isn't it? I may have parented me daughter in one way in those early years. But my son; with all the same genes to chose from, is a totally different person. She is cheerful and imaginative while he is adventurous and outspoken. Sometimes they must be left alone to figure something out and sometimes they need me right beside them.  I am just now learning that those instances will never look the same.  I cannot use KayLynn techniques with Logan, or vice verse.

Focus on the Family had a great article on Determining your child's personality type.  I learned that Logan is what they call Choleric: adventurous, determined, outspoken, competitive, strong-willed.  And KayLynn is referred to as Sanguine: playful, sociable, talkative, lively, imaginative. Romans is such a good reminder for me, "Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others."  I love both of my children and they both have been given gifts from the Lord to use in His service.  I get the honor of helping my children figure out what their gifts are and how to use them.  My son will probably be a leader and a fighter for the truth.  I know that my daughter will encourage people as she does me.  What a blessing to be a part of the Lords work in such a hands on way.  And, what a burden.  I must be honest I am overwhelmed by this task.  It is hard work.  Sometimes its spiritual and emotional work. Other days, like today, it is a physical battle.  I have the bruises to prove it. So I must gird my loins and prepare for this blessed work.

I need to learn how to meet my children where they are, not drag them to my ideas of the perfect children.

I covet prayers as I learn to parent my strong, independent son and my talkative, playful little girl.  I will be praying everyday that I can show them to the Lord.  I pray that my son will be a champion for the Truth and my daughter will show compassion to the world.  I know that I am not able to do this, but Christ is.  I will be praying for His strength and guidance each day so that my children will love and serve our God.

1 comment:

tamgronewold@aol.com said...

EXCELLENT!!! Love this! and Love you!